Plate 5. Architectural details from temple of Nilkanth
Pen and ink drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of architectural details from
the Nilakanth Temple at Kalinjar, taken from an album of 60 drawings dated
1847-1854. This drawings depicts the details of some of the columns of the
temple. The shafts and bases are carved with floral and geometrical motifs and
the capital has figures of dwarves, ganas, which support the entablature.
Kalinjar is a very ancient site in Bundelkhand. Its fort, one of the oldest in
India, was referred to by Ptolemy as Kanagora. It crowns a plateau of the
Vindhya mountains 375 metres high. It was taken by Qutub-ud-Din Aybak in 1202
who also destroyed the temples. A few centuries later, with the rise of the
Mughal Empire, a new series of attacks took place.
Click Here To View Full Size